THE FINCH BAY ECO HOTEL WINS WORLD’S LEADING GREEN HOTEL 2015 AT WORLD TRAVEL AWARDS14 Dec 2015, Posted by Galapagos Islands Blog in
GREAT NEWS! The Finch Bay Eco Hotel wins World’s Leading Green Hotel 2015 at World Travel Awards
For the second year in a row, the Finch Bay Eco Hotel was named “World’s Leading Green Hotel 2015” during a Gala Ceremony held at Mazagan Beach & Golf Resort in El Jadida, Morocco on December 12th. The World Travel Awards are known to tourism insiders as “the Oscars of the travel industry” and were launched in 1993 to acknowledge and recognise excellence in the world’s travel and tourism industry.
The Finch Bay leads the field in sustainable practices in the Galápagos Islands. Its new “Chakrita Lab” project recently took top honours in the innovation category of the Ei Awards 2015, which recognize and encourage leaders in the creation of highly innovative projects that contribute to the development of a pioneering entrepreneurial ecosystem in Ecuador.
Some of the initiatives that have contributed to the hotel’s outstanding ranking in the category include:
- – Water treatment facilities: The Finch Bay is the only hotel in Puerto Ayora that owns its own water treatment plant.
- – Energy-saving measures: The hotel’s solar panels, energy efficient light bulbs, movement sensors, improved room insulation and modern electrical appliances reduce electricity consumption.
- – Waste classification and recycling: Glass, plastic, paper, and cardboard are separated and recycled, while organic waste is used for composting to enrich the hotel’s organic vegetable and herb garden.
- – La Chakrita food production: This self-contained greenhouse for vegetable production provides the hotel kitchens with fresh, delicious produce while reducing the amount of food that must be imported to the islands, thus reducing its carbon footprint and improving food service for our guests.
- – Solar panels for water heating: This innovation saves approximately 50 to 70% of the energy required to heat water.
We are also happy to inform you that we have successfully completed the major makeover of the hotel announced last August. The Finch Bay now sports an “expedition chic” look that harmonizes fully with the native lava, sandy beaches and azure ocean of the hotel’s extraordinary location. All rooms have been completely redesigned, and the restaurant, reception and lounge areas feature new fittings as well as furnishings and ambiance.