The Galapagos Islands, and the Finch Bay Hotel in particular, present a unique experience for a family to travel, have fun, and learn together. There’s something for everyone, regardless of age, and an unforgettable experience to be shared.
Explore unique landscapes as part of exciting and memorable excursions, both on land and at sea. Fill your days with exploration and adventure while giving yourself some moments of well-deserved relaxation. Imagine out-of-this-world Galapagos family activities and read on to learn about our top reasons why the Finch Bay Hotel is an ideal destination.
Family activities in the Galapagos Islands
Sometimes, it is not easy to find common ground between family members of different age groups, but luckily, the Galapagos Islands is a destination with something for everyone. No family is too big or small to create unforgettable memories that will last a lifetime in one of the most magical places on Earth. The Galapagos Islands give you the chance to explore all that the archipelago has to offer.
The best way to get to learn about an animal is by observing it in its natural habitat, and there’s no better place to do that than the Galapagos Islands. With so many species of animals, it’s easy to find one (or a few!) that everyone in the family will love to observe.
One family favorite is the giant tortoise. These gentle giants are found all over the islands where they can often be seen grazing in open areas or taking a mud bath.
You may also like: How to experience the Galapagos islands: land or sea?
Sea and Land Experiences
From swimming with sea lions to exploring diverse island terrain, from an afternoon by the pool to encounters with giant tortoises, there’s something for everyone, no matter one’s age.
Fill your days with exploration and adventure, but also take some time to relax. It’s an out-of-this-world Galapagos family vacation that you won’t want to miss!
With crystal-clear blue waters and amazing sites, it’s easy to find a place everyone will enjoy. The Finch Bay sits on the edge of a protected marine reserve, making it the perfect location for taking part in a couple of great Galapagos family activities…
Scuba diving and snorkeling are ideal ways to explore the array of marine life just below the surface. Furthermore, Finch Bay’s expedition leader can help you schedule these and other fun excursions. The waters around Santa Cruz Island are teeming with marine life, also there are many terrific spots for snorkeling, including Turtle Cove and Devil’s Crown.
Another popular activity is to take a boat tour around the islands; this is a great way to see many different animals in their natural habitat, including iguanas, sea lions, frigatebirds, and more!
Consider heading over to Garrapatero Beach (and cove). Located on the eastern side of Santa Cruz Island, Garrapatero is considered to have the finest sand in all Galapagos! Enjoy a soothing dip in the waters; take a short trip on a tandem sit-on-top kayak; lie on the beach; or take a short walk to a nearby brackish lagoon, home of stilts, plovers, pintails, and flamingos.
Some additional things to keep in mind:
- Take in the views of the Galapagos Central Islands aboard our very own Sea Lion Yacht to the Galapagos National Park accompanied by certified naturalist guides. It’s a one-of-a-kind Galapagos day trip!
- Considered by many to be the most beautiful beach in the Galapagos Islands, Tortuga Bay is a stunning white sand beach within walking distance of our hotel. This is the perfect place to swim, relax, snorkel, and even surf!
- You will quickly fall in love with snorkeling in the Galapagos. The marine reserve is home to many multi-colored fish, sea turtles, and reef sharks! Plus, sharing the water with playful sea lions is an unforgettable experience.
- Divers often report being entertained by curious sea lion pups, spotting marine iguanas, as well as experiencing the thrill of seeing hammerhead, reef, and Galapagos sharks. It’s a universe all on its own, where the diversity and richness of marine life are truly spectacular.
- Kayaking around the waters of the Marine Reserve is a fantastic way to exercise and see unique endemic wildlife. Birds rest along shoreline cliffs. Sea lions and their pups lie on the beach just meters away.
Galapagos is also ideal for various land-based activities, including hiking, biking, bird watching, and observing different species in their natural habitat. Explore landscapes formed by volcanic activity, some as recently as 100 years ago. Hikes vary from island to island, allowing visitors to learn about geology and snap a selfie against the backdrop of the island’s iconic wildlife.
Enjoy biking on Santa Cruz Island with beautiful views, little traffic, and unique species. Easy downhill paths lead to walks to the beach and birdwatching opportunities—memorable Galapagos family activities! In the highlands of Santa Cruz, you can even venture inside a lava tunnel that is about 985-feet (300-meters) long!
Head to Galapagos National Park and visit the Charles Darwin Research Station. Here you can learn about the work being done to protect and preserve the unique wildlife of the Galapagos Islands. You can also see some giant tortoises that are bred in captivity until they’re ready to be released into the wild. The research station is open every day, plus admission is free.
Explore the town of Puerto Ayora and its charming cafés, restaurants, boutiques, art galleries, and even nightclubs! Catch a glimpse of island life at the local farmers’ market on Saturdays or visit Fisherman’s Wharf any day of the week.
The Finch Bay Hotel is located in Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz Island. It has direct access to the Los Alemanes Beach and offers guests a variety of activities. Stretch out, relax by the pool or in a hammock, and dig your toes into the sand just steps from your room.
Learn to prepare ceviche with the chef, a truly unique experience. Sip a cocktail at the bar while also indulging in a delicious meal at our renowned restaurant. End the day with a massage, and watch the stars illuminate the night sky.
You may also like: What iconic species can I see on a land-based tour?
What to Look for in a Hotel – Recommendations
No Galapagos family vacation is complete without some downtime for the adults, and the Finch Bay Hotel has plenty of options for relaxation.
The hotel’s stunning swimming pool includes a shallow area for children, and the poolside bar is where you can enjoy a refreshing drink. If you’re looking for something a little more active, there is a yoga room and a fully equipped gym. And, of course, no family vacation is complete without some time spent on the beach. Finch Bay has direct access to a beautiful sandy beach where you can relax in the sun, build sandcastles, and paddle in the waves.
- All-included programs, so you don’t have to worry about food and drink options.
- Various activities to keep you entertained throughout your stay.
- An expedition leader to help plan activities.
- Close to the beach and has a swimming pool.
A Family Adventure Like No Other
The Galapagos Islands offer a family adventure like no other. You’re guaranteed an incredible time with plenty of activities.
- Explore the islands by foot, boat, or even bike and discover all the hidden treasures they have to offer.
- Take a dip in the crystal-clear waters or visit one of the many beaches for a spot of sunbathing.
- Don’t forget to observe the wildlife, you’re sure to see some amazing animals on your travels!
The Finch Bay Hotel should be at the top of your list if you’re looking for unforgettable Galapagos family activities. The hotel’s convenient location, activities, and family-friendly accommodations make it the perfect place to create lasting memories that everyone will treasure for years to come.
So, what are you waiting for? Come explore the Galapagos Islands with us today!