About Us – Our Efforts
Our Efforts and Your Efforts
Here is some more information about our environmental and social initiatives, and how you as a guest can contribute. Thank you!
- We are the only hotel in Puerto Ayora with its own water treatment plant.
- We have introduced energy-saving measures such as solar panels, lightbulbs, movement sensors and more efficient electrical appliances, following an audit by the Ecuadorian Ministry of Energy.
- We kindly ask you to set your air-conditioning unit at a few degrees higher than you might do at home, in order to save electricity.
- We have improved insulation in all our rooms so as to keep cold air inside. We kindly ask you to open and shut your door quickly (if you’ve used air-conditioning to cool the inside).
- The hotel classifies its waste and recycles items such as glass, plastic, paper and cardboard. Organic waste is used for composting. Please help us to classify waste correctly.
- Our composting system enriches the hotel’s organic vegetable, fruit and herb garden (less food is brought in to the hotel, reducing carbon footprint). We grow as much fruit and vegetables as we can.
- We don’t offer takeout food (because all the packaging involved) and don’t use any disposable plates or cutlery.
- We buy locally.
- We have installed solar panels which save about 50 to 70% of the energy required to heat water.
- We collect rainwater for purification and subsequent use.
- We water the gardens during the cooler evenings.
- We constantly monitor our water system to avoid leaks – one drop per second in a pipe adds up to 2,650 gallons of water in a year! Please close all taps/faucets diligently.
- We monitor our energy use daily. Please switch off lights when they’re not needed!
- We have planted over 500 mangrove plants in the areas surrounding the hotel.
- 70% of staff come to work by bike.
- We dry the hotel’s sheets and linens outdoors, reducing the use of drying machines.
- We re-use and recycle as much wood as possible in construction work.
- We provide complimentary water bottles (as opposed to disposable plastic bottles).
- We employ energy-efficient appliances and are progressively replacing old, less efficient models.
- We train our staff in environmental and sustainability issues – practices which they take home with them.
- We try to serve food which is organic, free of pesticides and preservatives wherever possible.
- We clean the public beach every day. Please join us in our efforts!