About Us – Our commitment
Why are we an eco hotel?
Here is some more information about our environmental and social initiatives, and how you as a guest can contribute. Thank you!
- We are the only hotel in Puerto Ayora with its own water treatment plant.
- We collect rainwater for purification and subsequent use.
- We water the gardens at the coolest times of the day.
- We constantly monitor our water system to avoid leaks – one drop per second in a pipe adds up to 2,650 gallons of water in a year! Please close all taps/faucets diligently.
- We have introduced energy-saving measures such as solar panels, LED light bulbs, movement sensors and more efficient electrical appliances, following an audit by the Ecuadorian Ministry of Energy.
- We have improved insulation in all our rooms so as to keep cold air inside. We kindly ask you to open and shut your door quickly (if you’ve used air-conditioning to cool the inside) and to set your air-conditioning unit a few degrees warmer than you might do at home, in order to save electricity.
- We have installed solar panels which save about 50 to 70% of the energy required to heat water.
- We monitor our energy use daily. Please switch off lights when they’re not needed!
- We provide environmentally-friendly and biodegradable soap, detergent and shampoo supplies. We kindly ask you to use these or your own biodegradable products in order to protect our water treatment plant.
- We classify our waste and recycle items such as glass, plastic, paper and cardboard. Organic waste is used for composting. Please help us to classify waste correctly.
- We grow as many fruit and vegetables as we can in our own organic garden in order to reduce our carbon footprint, both by bringing in less produce and by using our home-made compost as an input.
- We don’t offer takeout food (because of all the packaging involved) and don’t use any disposable plates or cutlery.
- We buy locally.
- We dry the hotel’s sheets and linens outdoors, reducing the use of drying machines.
- We re-use and recycle as much wood as possible in construction work.
- We have planted over 500 mangrove plants in the areas surrounding the hotel.
- We encourage our staff to commute to work by bike. Currently, 70% of staff use this alternative transportation.
- We train our staff in environmental and sustainability issues – practices which they take home with them.
- We provide complimentary refillable water bottles (as opposed to disposable plastic bottles).
- We try to serve food which is organic, free of pesticides and preservatives wherever possible.
- We clean the public beach every day. Please join us in our efforts!